Thursday 30 December 2010

How Asian/Chinese are you?

You know those online quizzes that everyone seems to be taking to find your life partner/ideal job/inner superhero etc? Yea, those.Well, there are also quizzes that give your your inner ethnicity.

I have been called a 'banana' - Yellow on the outside while white on the inside. One of those people who look Asian but are anything but. Growing up, I always felt pretty annoyed at the labelling of people. I don't believe in stereotyping and name-calling and was very upset by the juvenile tactics of other children to differentiate themselves from you. Just because someone has a different upbringing does not mean they are odd and that you should not hang out with them. I would also be the first to admit that my upbringing gave me an edge over others in many areas. The isolation and constant upheaval also makes you tougher and you lose that rose-tinted view of humanity very quickly. After all, life is about the survival of the fittest.

Anyway, Facebook showed me a way to put the taunting to rest for once and for all. There was this quiz to determine how Asian a person is. I did the quiz quietly confident that I will pass and silence those sceptics forever! =)

I FAILED MISERABLY. =(

Undaunted, I did another quiz on how Chinese I am. I like wontons, I have good grades yadda yadda yadda... I had a very good feeling about it!

I FAILED AGAIN. =(

My friends and family had so much fun *rolls eyes* laughing at me. I am probably the only Chinese person in the whole entire universe who is 0% Asian and 0% Chinese. In fact, everyone tells me, one fine day, they are going to take my Malaysian passport off me! =(

I guess I need to train my cute poses V^^V, watch more Korean dramas and eat more dimsum.

Life is tough.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Remember the comment one of those tests said? "Stupid gweilo, why even bother taking this test." Lol. That was SO hilarious haha. Don't worry toots, at least you speak the language well ;)

Unknown said...

Strive hard.
You are Asian and Chinese by your heart and that's the most important.
It is not always in the physical aspect.

Keep blogging.
I like your blog anyway :)


SQL Server 2008|
Office 2010

Stella said...

Thank you everyone! Am training for my next test of Asian-hood! =)